Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Favor ain't fair

So I knew my big mouth would come in handy one day. I have this habit of just pretty much saying whatever I feel. Sometimes it works in my favor. Other times it doesn’t. What I am about to write about seems so unreal to me. It’s purely a mixture of personality, correct positioning and favor from God. Some would call it luck but I don’t believe in luck. If it did exist I wouldn’t want to rely on it anyway.

I was asked to dance in a piece at a reputable university for their black history month program. Since it was for a friend I figured why not. A week into rehearsals another dancer joined us. She was really nice and we hit it off. Come to find out she was the Director of Admissions at the university. At the time that meant nothing to me.
The day we were going to minister I went into her office to get her. She was ecstatic because she had given away scholarships.

So I said, “If you were giving away scholarships you should’ve gave me one.”

She said, “Do you want to go here?”

I said, “If you’re going to give me a scholarship.”

“I’ll tell you what. The deadline is July 15th (my birthday). If you can get your application in by then you’re in. I don’t care what your grades are. If you can get your application in in the next two weeks, I’ll give you a scholarship.”

I pondered this notion. Nowhere in my five year plan did school fit, especially seminary. What was I supposed to do with that degree? Did I really want to take this opportunity away from someone else who dreamed of going here when I had literally stepped into it? I called Pastor Dre to get her feedback and she said if the only thing keeping me from going to school was some paperwork then I should fill it out and see what happens.

Did I mention that this all happened three days before I was leaving to go to California? How convenient it would be to literally walk on campus to get my recommendations and transcripts without having to get them sent? God is so awesome!

No comments: